Monday, February 20, 2006

Every time you close your eyes


A week ago I would have said I didn't much care for the Arcade Fire, a bunch of weirdos from Canada (the cool country North of Mordor). Things can really change in a week. I can't get enough of them now. Today. I've been playing two of their songs over and over again. They're passionate and uplifting, despite a tragic core to their lyrics. Their album is rather aptly named Funeral.

~

My grandfather's funeral was today. He passed away yesterday. He was almost 90. He was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Indian Army. His only wartime injuries came from a car accident nowhere near the front, during the Chinese Aggresion. A major came to the church and gave him a smart salute, I'm told. I couldn't attend - exams. Funny, my dad called up a week ago saying that my grandad (his father) had managed to drive the car , much to the consternation of my grandmother. He lead a good long life, and was a good man. I liked him. I'll miss him. Especially the next time I go to Trivandrum.

~

I've been sleeping excessively. Then I heard Rebellion (Lies), which has the mysterious lines:

Sleeping is giving in,
no matter what the time is.
Sleeping is giving in,
so lift those heavy eyelids.
...
Every time you close your eyes
Lies, lies!



So I must be wakeful.

Do check out the rest of the lyrics to this song: [ lyrics]

Note: There is no connection - lyrical or musical - between these songs and my grandfather.

The Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) [mp3]

The Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies) [mp3]