Hubris! To mislead people into thinking that I am a hardcore Rocker. A Serious Music Listener. A Purist. An Aficionado of the High Culture. All hubris.
I'm a pop person. Poppity pop pop pop. With the hummable tunes and the toe-tap taalam.
It's just that pop has been pretty bad for the past decade or so. But in the 60's 70's and 80's, it was rather nice, wasn't it? The songs you hear on the radio, on a mixtape, at a school dance. They give you that warm fuzzy embarrassed-yet-pleased feeling.
Therefore, for the edification of family, friends and sundry, I shall do a regular series of posts on the bubblegummy sidewalk of Popular Culture. I have quite a collection of songs from artists I "ought not to like", one-hit-wonders and so on. These I shall proceed to share.
[For the anti-MTV and classics-only types: fear not. I shall continue to intersperse these posts with selections from my ever-expading Rock Pantheon.]
This collection is from a folder on my hard disk I've named The Ash Mix. My cousin Asher has the best collection of 80's and 90's (and 00's) pop I have ever seen, and I wrote a CD chocfull of tunes from said treasurechest.
White Town - Your Woman [mp3]
Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany's [mp3]
Men at Work - Down Under [mp3]
Presidents of the USA - Lump [mp3]
En Vogue - Free Your Mind [mp3]
Jewel - Who Will Save Your Soul? [mp3]
Sneaker Pimps - Six Underground [mp3]