Thursday, January 26, 2006

You Sexy Little Swine

Arctic Monkeys.

Arctic Monkeys?

Arctic Monkeys!

However you say it, it's a silly band name.

Then again, who wants to be a misspelled insect?









ARCTIC MONKEYS KICK ASS!!!

I wanted to slowly work my way to the noughties, weaving through everything I like -from Chuck Berry to Radiohead - but I'm just too excited about this band. I have allowed myself to be caught up in a wave of hype that has nothing to do with my geographical location.

The internet can do that. Next thing you know there'll be slick Delhi-ites hip to the Moscow jive.

Or - like - whatever.

So as I was saying...I'm really following this band, downloading everything I can get my hands on (which is a lot). They have the guitar hooks, the playful dancy drums, and most importantly, the lyrics. The critics think it's all about Sheffield and whatnot, but I could pretty much access most of the songs. I'm not surprised at all that these guys are set to snatch from Oasis the record for fastest selling debut rock album in the UK. It's a perfect album, as this guy said. (I love reading reviews of music I already like!)

I hesitated for a bit before gushing about these kiddos (three 19-year-olds and a 20 year old). Many of my music-listening friends sit still, just about tapping their feet or nodding their heads to the beat. Madhu does the occassional Ravey Ravey move. But only at raves. And no, headbanging and drunken swaying do not count. They never did.

[Thoma falls under a different category, which is beyond the scope of our discussion. He rocked the scenario.]

I'm not going to put pictures up. I'm merely going to direct you people to a source of mp3s and a source of videos.




Arctic Army has loads of mp3s.

I recommend Dancing Shoes, Fake Tales of San Francisco, From the Ritz to the Rubble....actually, just try out all the demos.

Mardy Bum has a great stock of videos. The files are nice and small, yet the quality is pretty damn good. I suggest the MTV Gonzo on Tour videos.




Listen. Learn. And Enjoy. You may even "look good on the dancefloor, dancing to electro pop like a robot from 1984".