
I love the Beatles so much it hurts. Yellow Submarine is like a nursery rhyme to me. My sister and I know every single dialogue from the movies A Hard Day's Night and Help! by heart. John, Paul, George and Ringo aren't musicians or pop stars. They're members of my family.
To say they are the greatest is to do them the disservice of comparison. Besides, I can't be objective. Who can?
It's not the psychedelia, or the lyrics, or the vocals - you can't break it down to its basic elements. And I hate it when people tell me "Yeah I like their later stuff...not that Love Me Do business." It's probably their early songs that are dearest to me. I'll pick a couple that I like for no particular reason.
I'll Cry Instead - it lasts for less than two minutes but what a wonderful ride it is. My video cassette of A Hard Day's Night opens with this song, and a collage of stills from the movie. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. [mp3]
I often find myself singing I'll Be Back. Not sure why. Nothing to get hung about, surely? Buried deep in my subconscious I guess. [mp3]