The other day, I was in the car with my mom and I was listening to this modern rock/alternative rock station on the radio when No Doubt's "Don't Speak" comes on. I was amused and quite surprised that my mom knew all the words. Turns out they play it all the time on this soft rock station she listens to fairly often. Interesting...
Anyway, I was reminded of this incident when I recently read that No Doubt is back in the studio recording their next album and Gwen Stefani said that they might go back to their ska roots. Seeing as Tragic Kingdom is, in my opinion, their best album to date, I'm excited. (It was also the first and only official album on cassette tape I have ever purchased. Pretty late, I know, but before this album, I had never been enamored enough to buy actual tapes and just stuck to making a crapload of mixtapes off the radio.) And the farther No Doubt's sound is from Gwen's solo efforts is fine by me. Don't even get me started about those Harajuku girls.
So because I've been listening to a lot of this album lately, here are some old favorites:
I don't know how she stayed in the same band with the bf of 7 years she just broke up with and wrote the song about and sang it all the time with him right there but this is a damn good song and I love to sing along to it. And apparently, so does my mom.
Fairly simple lyrics but this single pretty much revived the ska genre in 1996.
Angst-ridden ska. Enough said.