Saturday, February 24, 2007

Good blood, Bad blood



The truth about Indie music is that it hardly is what it seems. Though termed Independent Music, it has now become a symbol of hopeless bravado. Dickheads in dirty haircuts.
Only bands that can truly set themselves apart with their unique brand of thinking can call themselves an Indie band. Like the Arcade Fire, who despite all that's written and said about them, are excellent musicians not only because of their style but because of their skill at playing a variety of instruments.


People like the Kooks, the Klaxons, the Vines etc.etc. are just their for the free ride. The free press NME so generously and unecessarily bestows upon them. NME has made demi-gods of mediocre mods who want a slice of the pie. Their reviews disgust me, their style of writing celebrates everything, regardless how unimportant. The hype generated chokes you and you have no way out except listening to the bands they are talking about. Gone are the days where music is a personal discovery. Now it is forced down your throat with great vigour. Listen to THIS BAND, you haven't heard THIS BAND? Go tell your mom what to listen to you assholes.

No wonder the Arctic monkeys, when accepting some award said "Thanks to you guys. Not YOU guys who hyped us up, but YOU guys who voted". No wonder I like them.

Spare me your Chemical Romances and your Views. I'll judge for myself. And cut your damn hair.


And what's with all the "I am cool. Hence I listen to Indie. I am smart. Hence I listen to Indie." phenomenon? When does the music to listen to define you. People like Vikram Seth write articles for Stephens publications about how intelligent he was because he could identify some classical music piece played in Rukun Advani's room. Such isoteric hurrah is typical of our college. And all said and done, I am sorry, but they are real losers.

"What you eat don't make me shit" - JayZ

So here goes.

JayZ with DJ Dangermouse from the famous grey album. Its what certian yuppies would call a "killer track". It is a masterpiece in sampling, with the Beatles providing the riffs to JayZ's, arguably, most famous song. He performed it with Linkin Park too and that will remain one of the best concerts, musically, ever.

The Chemical Brothers track is voted the hottest piece of music on the planet right now, by none other than 6music. They are right.

Snoop Dogg asks a simple question.

JayZ with DJ Dangermouse - 99 problems [mp3]

Chemical Brothers - Galvanise [mp3]

Snoop Dogg - What's my name [mp3]